Picture
To say that the last few weeks have been busy is a bit of an understatement.  So much has gone on lately that I haven't been able to catch up at all, so here goes a quick recap.  Forgive me if I forget bits, but the last little while has been a whirlwind of progress for our not-so-little angel!!!

Picture
Ava has a peanut allergy.

So as part of her trip back home, Ava had her 6-month allergy check (RAST test), and was thankfully cleared of allergies to almost everything.  Unfortunately, though, she tested positive to peanuts and to dogs...  Cue EpiPens, adrenaline vials, and some very nervous parents!  Thankfully, though, the little thing doesn't know what a peanut is yet, so she won't miss them.  The obvious downside now is that now she's starting to eat solids, so every bit of food we get for her has to be completely nut free.  We can't really have peanuts in the house any more - no more peanut butter sandwiches, no more satays...  the fact that every variety of Asian food uses peanuts is also very, very annoying!  There is a 20% chance that she will grow out of it, but the reality is that she has an 80% chance of having the life-threatening allergy for the rest of her life.
The dog part of thing is also upsetting, as Ava absolutely adores her big brother Bruce.  She doesn't seem to react to the hair (which is a good thing, as it's EVERYWHERE), but when he licks her face she breaks out in hives.  Separating them isn't as easy as you'd think, as they're both the same height, and they both love chewing everything!  

Picture
Ava goes to Myanmar.

Another trip for our little jetsetter!  Almost immediately after coming back from Australia, she's back to the airport to get on another plane!  Thankfully, though, most airlines these days have ditched the customary sachet of peanuts.  
She spent 5 days exploring one of the world's most interesting places - formerly shut off to foreigners, the country has relaxed its visa restrictions and so we went to check it out.  As it turns out, Yangon is amazing.  Due to our limited time, we couldn't get out to the countryside, but seeing the former capital was a pretty good introduction.  I think Ava may have been the only blond-haired, blue-eyed baby they've ever had there, as locals were so curious about her.  Everyone, and really, I mean EVERYONE, had a big smile for her, and she smiled right back.  

Picture
Ava moves out.

As if trying to get her to sleep wasn't hard enough with her already disrupted schedule, the week after returning from Myanmar, our old lease was due to run out.  With this in mind, and the growing needs of our little family, it was time to move to somewhere bigger and brighter.  
Our new place is a lot larger than our last, and we now have access to some large nearby parks, perfect for our two babies to go walking in.  Ava already loves the trees, birds, and relatively clean air.  Bruce loves the open space so much, and all the new people, places and smells he has to discover.  The move was a big adjustment but we're getting used to our big new place and Ava now has a whole room of her own.

Picture
Ava grows teeth.

Just to add to the excitement, Ava started to sprout her first set of chompers - two sharp little pegs on her bottom gum.  She's now chewing everything she can find and slobbering everywhere!  The good news is that her solids intake is now getting right up there and she now loves to feed herself carrot sticks, broccoli pieces, etc, and is even branching out into chicken legs.  
She's a lot more temperamental at the moment, understandably, as she's obviously going through a lot.  Hopefully though, things will change and she'll get used to her new teeth.  She's coping well, given some of the other stories I've heard.  Let's hope she settles down in the next few weeks.  We have visits by all the grandparents to look forward to, as well as so many other exciting things!

 


Grandma Sharron
03/03/2014 1:34am

I love your little stories - keep them coming! I can't believe she is growing up so quickly.

Reply
Louise Strid
03/03/2014 3:19am

So glad I was with Megan and Ava for the RAST test ... what an adorable girl ... and I took her out to see the birds in front of our house that are there every morning ... she loved them ... magpies walking on the ground next to her and the lorikeets in the trees darting here and there ... I miss her so much ... she is lovely ... just like her Mummy.

Reply



Leave a Reply.